Hospitality plans to construct a four-story, 115-room, Holiday Inn Hotel on this site, adjacent to Valley View Parkway, west of the Little Blue Trace Park. If the rezoning is approved, the applicant must submit a final site plan for staff review and approval before any building permit is issued. The property adjoining this site to the south, was rezoned to C-2 in May, 2012, a hotel is currently under construction there. The Development Agreement of the Tax Increment Financing (TIF) plan doesn’t restrict this site to a particular zoning district. However, the TIF plan restricts the uses in to office, financial, and institutional, flex place, medium density residential and hotel uses. The applicant’s property is currently zoned O-1, which permits apartments, nursing homes, offices, schools, restaurants, medical services, by right and uses such as child care centers and group homes as conditional uses. Rezoning to C-2 will allow restaurants, office, retail stores, hotels and other uses specified in the Code.
This portion of Eastland Center, west of the Little Blue River, south of Valley View Parkway, is zoned O-1 with the intent that office uses would locate there. Besides the hotel under construction to the south, and the apartment complex to the west, this has been the case. Two other hotels in Eastland Center are sited in a C-2 zoning district east of the river.
Planning Commission Action:
At its April 11, 2017 Planning Commission meeting, the motion for approval passed by a vote of 6-0, after consideration of the following facts:
- That the rezoning is consistent with the review criteria listed in Section 14-701-02 of the City Code;
- That a public hearing was held pursuant to a notice duly published according to law, at which time all interested parties were given the full opportunity to be heard;
- That the subject property is currently vacant and has been for many years;
- That rezoning the 3.37 acre tract of land, one of the few remaining vacant lots in Eastland Center, to C-2 would allow a hotel to be constructed on the site;
- That, at the Planning Commission hearing, no one spoke against the application;
- That, at the hearing, no petition protesting this application was presented;
Planning Commission minutes are available in the Community Development Department.