Item Coversheet
City of Independence

Agenda Title:

Council action is recommended to enter a contract with Republic Services  for Sludge Disposal for one year, with four possible one-year extensions for the Water Pollution Control Department (WPC).

Council action to enter into a contract.

The Water Pollution Control Department (WPC) requires hauling and landfilling of biosolids (sludge) generated from wastewater treatment  at the Rock Creek Treatment Plant. The Treatment Plant typically disposes of 2,000 – 2,500 tons of biosolids annually. These solids are designated by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) as “special waste” and must be disposed of at approved landfills. Records must be maintained that indicate quantities and dates of disposal in compliance with MDNR and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations and reporting requirements. Additionally, the Treatment Plant performs grit removal ranging from 60-110 tons per year.


WPC needs a contractor to provide and deliver roll-off containers to waste conveyor sites at the treatment plant and haul the filled containers to the land fill for disposal.  WPC no longer incinerates waste; therefore, the department does not dispose of ash. WPC has also discontinued the use of the ash lagoons.  


The Procurement Division issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) on March 5, 2019, for Sludge Disposal. The RFP was published through the Public Purchase e-procurement website, which notified fifty-one (51) potential respondents; 14 acessed the RFP.


One proposal was received on March 19, 2019, from Republic Services, who is the current provider of this service. Staff reviewed the proposal and the Republic Services proposal met the minimum requirements in the RFP. Staff recommends approval of a contract with Republic Services for this service.

Fiscal Impact:

Account Number – 5220-5233 – Water Pollution Control - $200,000 annually

Department:          Water Pollution Control DepartmentContact Person:          Lisa Phelps

Purchasing Division (Finance Department)Approved
Water Pollution Control DepartmentApproved
Finance DepartmentApproved
Law DepartmentApproved
City Managers OfficeApproved
City Clerk DepartmentApproved

Council Action:          Council Action:          Accepted