Item Coversheet
City of Independence
AGENDA ITEM COVER SHEET
Approved

Agenda Title:

Council action is requested to authorize the City Manager to approve a construction contract with Mega Industries for the Englewood Arts District Streetscape Improvements Phase 3 Project (No. 70511503)  for an amount not to exceed $298,721.00, and authorizing future minor change orders for an amount not to exceed $29,872.10 and/or time extensions.
Recommendations:

Approval of the request is recommended.
Executive Summary:

Approval is requested for a construction contract for the Englewood Arts District Streetscape Improvements Phase 3 Project (No. 70511503).  The project will make improvements to the south side of Winner Road from Appleton to Sterling.  The improvements will include new sidewalks, new curbs, decorative red stamped sidewalk ribbons, benches, bike racks and planters.  The contract would be with Mega Industries at a cost of $298,721.00.
Background:

This action would approve a construction contract with Mega Industries for the Englewood Arts District Streetscape Improvements Phase 3 Project (No. 70511503) at a cost of $298,721.00.  The project will make improvements to the south side of Winner Road between Appleton and Sterling.  The improvements include curbs, sidewalks, stamped concrete, benches, bike racks and planters.  There are five construction bids for the project.

 

Mega Industries                         $298,721.00

J.M. Fahey Construction            $302,769.00

Freeman Concrete Const.          $303,234.20

Terry Snelling Const.                  $333,267.40

Gunter Construction                   $368,770.00

 

Mega Industries meets the requirements for Construction Contractor Requirements for contracts exceeding $300,000 of the City's Procurement Policy and has successfully completed other construction project for the City and is being recommended for the contract. The engineer's estimate for the construction cost is $349,200.70.  The City is to be reimbursed 80 percent of the construction costs through the federal Transportation Alternatives Program.  The federal funds are administered by MoDOT.  MoDOT has reviewed the construction bids and is in agreement with the contract being awarded to Mega Industries.  The remaining project funding will be from the City's Street Sales Tax Fund.  The action would approve minor change order approval by the City Manager not to exceed $29,872.10 and/or time extensions. The contract provides for construction completion within 120 calendar days, excluding December 15 through March 15.  There are existing appropriations to pay for the improvements.

 

 



Fiscal Impact:

The City will be reimbursed 80 percent of the cost of the project through a federal grant from the Transportation Alternatives Program which is administered by the Missourl Department of Transportation.  The remaining 20 percent of the project will be funded through Street Sales Tax Funds that were previously appropriated.  The Council action will obligate $328,593.10 for this contract on the Englewood Arts District Streetscape Improvements Phase 3 Project (No. 70511503).



Department:          Public WorksContact Person:          Tim Gramling


REVIEWERS:
DepartmentAction
Public Works DepartmentApproved
Finance DepartmentApproved
Law DepartmentApproved
City Managers OfficeApproved
City Clerk DepartmentApproved

Council Action:          Council Action:          Accepted

ATTACHMENTS:
DescriptionType
Project location mapExhibit