Item Coversheet
City of Independence
AGENDA ITEM COVER SHEET
Approved

Agenda Title:

Council action is requested to authorize the City Manager to approve a construction contract with Capital Electric Line Builders for an amount not to exceed $346,709.40, authorizing future minor change orders for an amount not to exceed $34,670.94 and/or time extensions, for the Noland and Fair Intersection Improvements Project (No. 70511502).
Recommendations:

Approval of the request is recommended.
Executive Summary:

Approval is requested for a construction contract for the Noland and Fair Intersection Improvements Project (No. 70511502).  The project will replace the traffic signals at the intersection. There will be pedestrian push button signals, new sidewalk ramps, pavement marking improvements, and a concrete pad at a bus stop.  The contract would be with Capital Electric Line Builders at a cost of $346,709.40.
Background:

This action would approve a construction contract with Capital Electric Line Builders for the Noland and Fair Intersection Improvements Project (No. 70511502) at a cost of $346,709.40.  The project will replace the traffic signals at the intersection. There will be push button pedestrian signals, new sidewalk ramps, improved pavement markings, and a concrete pad at a bus stop.  There are three construction bids on the project:

 

Capital Electric Line Builders                $346,709.40

Gunter Construction Co.                       $356,820.00

Mega Industries                                    $367,983.00

 

Capital Electric Line Builders has successfully completed other construction projects for the the City and is being recommended for the contract.  The engineer's estimate of the construction cost is $337,433.00.  The City is to be reimbursed 80 percent of the construction contract through the Federal Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Program.  The federal funds are administered by MoDOT.  MoDOT has reviewed the construction bids and is in agreement with the contract being awarded to Capital Electric Line Builders.  The remaining project funding will be from the City's Street Sales Tax Fund.  The action would approve minor change order approval by the City Manager not to exceed $34,670.94 and/or time extensions.  The contract provides for construction completion within 180 calendar days, excluding December 16, 2018 through March 15, 2019. There are existing appropriations to pay for the improvements.



Fiscal Impact:

The City will be reimbursed 80% of the cost of the project through a Federal Grant through the Congestion and Mitigation and Air Quality program which is administered the Missouri Department of Transportation. The remaining 20% of the project will be funded through Street Sales Tax Funds that were previously appropriated for the current budget year.  The Council action will obligate $381,380.34 for this contract on the Noland and Fair Intersection Improvements Project (No. 70511502).





Department:          Public WorksContact Person:          Tim Gramling


REVIEWERS:
DepartmentAction
Public Works DepartmentApproved
Finance DepartmentApproved
Law DepartmentApproved
City Managers OfficeApproved
City Clerk DepartmentApproved

Council Action:          Council Action:          Accepted

ATTACHMENTS:
DescriptionType
Location mapExhibit