The LED (light emitting diode) sports lighting upgrade for the Silverstein Eye Centers Arena (SECA) Main Bowl and Community Ice Rink would provide significant enhancements for patrons of the Arena as well as reduced operating and maintenance costs. The current HID (high intensity discharge) lighting system has several disadvantages compared to LED lighting:
Current Metal Halide HID Lighting:
- Inability to make lighting color changes
- Relies upon mechanical shutters to cover/uncover lights due to 15 minute delay in warm up time when turned off
- Produces 70% less visible light after 10,000 hours of operation
- Average bulb lifespan is 10,000 to 25,000 hoursAnnual cost for lighting is $47,297 ($20,433 for Arena and $26,864 for Community Ice Rink)
Proposed LED lighting:
- Ability to make RGB (red, green and blue) color changes and provide for special lighting effects during event
- Ability to have “instant on/off” control
- More efficient relative to every other commercially available lighting technology
- Average LED bulb lifespan is 100,000 hours or more
- Dimming capabilityProjected annual cost for lighting is $14,447 ($6,307 for Arena and $8,140 for Community Ice Rink)
LED lighting would provide enhanced game experiences during Kansas City Mavericks, Comets and Phantoms sporting events for fans and players. Teams could change the color of the arena during the opening, national anthem, and upon scoring a goal or at other critical moments during an event. The LED lighting upgrade would also enhance family shows, music concerts, circus shows and other events for attendees. In the Community Ice Rink the LED lighting would enhance the public skating experience. No other facilities in Kansas City have this ability at this time. The LED lighting would also allow for better glare control for players, spectators and broadcast events. TV broadcasts can have trouble with glare from the ice during televised events.
The only company that manufactures an LED sports light fixture with the full-spectrum RGB capability and with programmable custom effects is Eaton Ephesus Lighting. These lights are the only fixtures which meet the venue and tenant team functional requirements.
The LED sports lighting upgrade would be purchased through a State of Missouri contract. The Main Bowl lighting fixtures would cost $179,500. The Community Ice Rink fixtures would cost $108,595, for a grand total of $288,095.
The Events Center Community Improvement District (CID) Board approved the LED sports lighting upgrade project as part of the current budget. Approval of this item authorizes the Procurement Manager to issue change orders up to a total of ten (10) percent of the original authorized amount for each order, providing appropriations are available.