A summary of the major modifications negotiated for this agreement are as follows:
1. Various Articles – Health Department Reorganization – Numerous clean-up wording changes are necessary to reflect the reorganization of animal control officers and public health investigators to other departments.
2. Article 7.3(b) - Assignment of Overtime - New language clarifies that, for bargaining unit members of the Public Works Department, overtime shall be offered strictly by division seniority starting with the most senior qualified bargaining member within the division.
3. Article 13 – Promotions & Appointments – New language prohibits employees from making lateral transfers between crews until after the 6-month probationary period. There have been problems with probationary employees jumping back and forth between crews too many times in the first 6 months, which doesn’t allow for full training and disrupts work flow.
4. Article 15 – Wages and Benefits – A new step system is proposed in Appendix A. This bargaining group has not had a true step system in place since it de-certified from SEIU representation in 2013. Wage increases in the second and third years of the agreement are set at 1% which is consistent with other employees.
5. Article 21.2(c) - Early Call in for Snow Shift - New language addresses calling in a snow shift a few hours before the normal start time. The current agreement only covers holding employees over at the end of snow removal operations shifts.
6. Article 22.3 - Grievance Procedure - Revised language clarifies that either the union steward or the business representative may represent the employee during the grievance process.
7. Article 22.4 – Disciplinary Suspensions – New language clarifies that suspensions without pay pending termination may be implemented immediately.