The City of Independence, Power & Light Department (IPL) is required under its Missouri Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) issued Missouri State Operating Permit (MSOP) and under the Federal Coal Combustion Residual (CCR) rule to develop a groundwater monitoring program for its closed and capped Blue Valley Ash Ponds. To develop this monitoring program, Barr Engineering, our selected consultant, will provide the following deliverables over a seven-year period:
• Characterize the hydrogeologic conditions of the site by installing a series of borings and developing a conceptual site model
• Develop the appropriate plans and reports required by the Missouri Geological Survey and MDNR
• Conduct a risk based analysis of potential receptors and pathways
• Install permanent ground water monitoring wells, establish sampling constituents, establish sampling frequency/duration based on regulatory requirements
• Perform required groundwater sampling and analysis; and,
• Perform statistical analysis and reporting of groundwater data to compare up gradient vs down gradient groundwater constituent concentrations
This project will ensure that IPL’s Blue Valley Ash Ponds are in compliance with our State Permit and the federal CCR rule.
Barr Engineering Co. (“Barr”) was selected per State Statute 8.285, et seq, which calls for selecting architectural, engineering and land surveyor services based on qualifications. Barr was selected from the Procurement Division’s pre-approved list of architectural, engineering, and land surveyor consulting firms.
Approval of this item authorizes the Procurement Manager to issue change orders up to ten (10) percent of the original authorized amount, providing that appropriations are available.