|City of Independence|
|AGENDA ITEM COVER SHEET|
A request for Council approval on the application of WCA of Missouri, LLC. for a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity as a refuse and trash collector.
This application meets the standards for issuance of a certificate outlined in Section 19.05.007 of the City Code.
WCA of Missouri, LLC has submitted an application requesting City Council approval to provide refuse and trash collection services within the City. WCA of Missouri is a merger of two currently licensed trash/refuse haulers in the city; EnviroStar Waste Services, Inc. and Town and County Disposal. If approved, those two existing accounts will be closed, reducing the number of licensed trash/refuse haulers in the City from eight to seven.
Section 19.05.007 of the Code states that the Council shall consider said application and shall issue a license here-under when it finds that the public convenience and necessity require the proposed refuse collection service for which application has been submitted. In determining whether public convenience and necessity require the licensing of a proposed refuse collection service, the Council shall consider
- whether the public is, at the time, adequately served;
- the number, kind, and type of equipment;
- the schedule of rates proposed to be charged;
- whether the safe and sanitary use of the streets by the public, both vehicular and pedestrian, will be preserved; and
- such other facts as the Council shall consider relevant.
In addition the Council may consider:
- That insurance policies as required by City ordinances have been procured.
- That the applicant is a fit and proper person to conduct or work in the proposed business.
- That all the requirements of this Article and all other ordinances and laws have been complied with by the applicant.
- Whether there is more than one collection vehicle for each 1500 residential customers, other than standby units or commercial and industrial units. This factor is merely an indicator of what has been determined to be adequate minimum service. It is a guide and not an absolute limitation.
The applicant plans to utilize seven trash/refuse collection trucks in Independence. The two companies that the applicant has merged previously used a combined eight trash/refuse collection trucks. The application included a certificate of insurance and copies of current state motor vehicle registration forms as required by the Code. The proposed rate schedule for residential service will be $51 per quarter, or $17 per month. The background investigation conducted by the Independence Police Department revealed the corporate officers meet the requirements of the Code.
The City currently has eight licensed trash/refuse haulers that provide weekly trash collection with 97 trash/refuse collection trucks licensed among these businesses. With approximately 53,834 households in the City, as reported in the 2010 Census, the current ratio of trash/refuse collection trucks to households is 1 to 555. If this application is approved, the number of trash/refuse collection trucks licensed would be reduced to 96, and the ratio of trash/refuse collection trucks to households would become 1 to 561.
While the licensed trash/refuse haulers may classify some of the trash/refuse collection trucks as standby vehicles, they are available for use as needed per the Code. Based upon the Code’s reference to an indicator of adequate minimum service, the current number of licensed trash/refuse collection trucks exceeds the City’s minimum service standard by over 2.6 times. While the guidelines seem to indicate there is not a sufficient need for another trash/refuse hauler in the City, this application is a merger of two companies into one, thus reducing the number of trash/refuse haulers by one, and also reducing the number of trash/refuse collection trucks used by one. The applicant otherwise meets the Code requirements.
|Department: Community Development||Contact Person: Tom Scannell|
|Community Development Department||Approved|
|City Managers Office||Approved|
|City Clerk Department||Approved|
|Council Action: ||Council Action: Accepted|