The Independence For All has a goal to achieve livability, choice, access, health and safety through a quality built environment. One of the objectives is to reduce blight in commercial corridors, entryways and neighborhoods. Dangerous buildings have a blighting influence on our corridors, entryways and neighborhoods.
Since July 1, 2017, staff has made the following enhancements to the dangerous building program:
- Hired full time staff member to oversee the dangerous building program;
- Revised procedures to improve customer service;
- Created a Dangerous Building Review Committee to review all dangerous buildings and provide feedback;
- Streamlined enforcement process to remove unnecessary steps; and
- Streamlined the demo bidding process to use pre-qualified list of demo contractors.
These changes have resulted in an increase in resolution of dangerous building cases; 28 dangerous buildings were repaired by the owner, 5 dangerous building were demolished by the owner and 13 dangerous buildings were demolished by the City.