From information obtained from the City’s Regulated Industries division, the adjoining property at 10812 E. 39th Street has been used for used auto sales (and RV rental) since 1996 when the City Council approved a Special Use Permit for that purpose. However there’s no record of any business operating from 3816 S. Appleton Avenue, which is a vacant lot zoned R-12 (Two Family Dwelling).
Robert Greeley recently took over an auto sales business at 10812 E. 39th Street and seeks to expand the business onto the vacant Appleton site. At this time, the applicant plans to expand the vehicle sales and storage area onto the western 60% of the Appleton property, then sometime in the future, utilize the remaining eastern part in some manner for the business. The small storage shed on the lot will be removed.
This rezoning action must be approved by the City Council to approve the accompanying Special Use Permit for used vehicle sales at this S. Appleton site and the adjoining property at 10812 E. 39th Street.
Planning Commission Action: At its July 25, 2017 Planning Commission meeting, the motion for approval passed, after consideration of the following facts:
- That the rezoning is consistent with the review criteria listed in Section 14-701-02 of the City Code.
- That a public hearing was held pursuant to a notice duly published according to law, at which time all interested parties were given the full opportunity to be heard.
- That the subject property is currently vacant.
- That the applicant must construct the proper buffer screen along the north property line, adjacent to the single family homes.
- That, at the Planning Commission hearing, no one spoke against the request.
- That, at the hearing, no petition protesting this application was presented.
Draft Planning Commission minutes are attached to this Council agenda item.