This 0.37-acre site, on the southeast corner of E. US 40 Highway and S. Sterling Avenue, was constructed as a quick oil change/lube facility several years ago. The applicant, Mr. Hoorfar, now seeks to sell used motor vehicles from the site. As discussed in the applicant’s letter, it will place sale vehicles along the south (rear) side of the property with employee and customer parking on the west side, across from QuikTrip. The two bays in the building will be used to prep vehicles for sale; they have no plans to provide any repair service. Except for a possible fence, no exterior improvements are proposed for the site or building; the interior of the building will receive a tenant finish to provide proper office and customer space.
This segment of E. US 40 Highway is typical for Highways and Arterials, with commercial zoning (primarily C-2) along most of the corridor with residential zoning and uses behind the commercial frontage. The City of Kansas City’s corporate limits is the south property line of this lot.
Planning Commission Action - At its July 25, 2017 meeting, the Planning Commission voted 5-0 to recommend approval of this application, with the conditions listed above, after considering the following facts:
1. That the Special Use Permit is not consistent with the review criteria listed in Section 14-704-09 of the Unified Development Ordinance.
2. That a public hearing was held pursuant to a notice duly published according to law, at which time all interested parties were given the full opportunity to be heard.
3. That there are automotive related uses on three corners of this intersection.
4. That this site had been previously utilized for an automotive-related use, a quick oil change establishment.
5. That, at the Planning Commission hearing, no one spoke in opposition to the application.
6. That no petitions protesting the application were presented at the Planning Commission meeting.
Draft Planning Commission minutes are attached to this Council agenda item.